Monday, September 19, 2011

Warlock Robusto


Brand of Cigar: Warlock
Name of Cigar: Warlock Robusto
Vitola: 4 3/4 X 54 Robusto
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Cubano
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Dominican & Nicaraguan
Body: Full
Time of Smoke: 1:20
MSRP Price: $6.25
Purchase Price:
$6.00
Place of Purchase: Puff N' Stuff


Intro:

This was another purchase connected to the stupidity of leaving all of my cigars in Ohio. I can't complain though, this is the first time I had seen this cigar and if I hadn't forgotten all my sticks in my humidor I may have never got the opportunity to smoke this one. When I walked in the Puff N' Stuff humidor I ran across the usual Romeo Y Julietas, Cristos, and lower end cigars. I decided that I wanted to try something different, and then I came across the Warlock, they had a toro and robusto, but I decided to go with the robusto because I hadn't heard anything about this particular cigar before. I decided to sit down with the old man and a glass of Monticello Vineyards 2009 Presedential Chardonnay and see just what I had purchased.


Appearance/Construction: (22/25)

I personally thought this was a nice looking cigar. I'll be honest, the main reason I picked this one up was because of the dark maduro wrapper on it. It is definitely one of the darker cigars I've smoked, it reminds me a lot of the Montecristo Media Noches. The band was also pretty cool, it was very plain but the black and silver gave it a nice modern feel and it coincided well with the black maduro wrapper. The cigar did have a couple major veins running through it and it was almost rough to the touch, which hurts it a little in the ratings.


Smoking Experience: (27/30)
Even during the pre-light I could tell this cigar was going to have a nice bitterness to it. It had a nice chocolate smell to it, but I could also make out the spiciness right off the bat. After getting the intimidating Warlock lit, I started getting hints of a dark chocolate/mocha. The chocolate tones continued throughout the first third, but the spices kept the stick from overtaking you with sweetness. The spices really picked up in the second half and it really started to taste like I was sipping on a bitter coffee. The change was pretty significant, and I personally enjoyed it. The cigar was also producing a nice amount of smoke along with a nice white 1.5" ash. Once I got to the final third of the cigar, I started to get a little harshness. I continued to get touches of chocolate but the harshness took over the cigar with about an inch left. Although the stick did get a little harsh, I was thoroughly impressed with the fact that I never had to touch the Warlock up and didn't have to worry about it going out on me.



Value: (18/20)

I was more than satisfied with this stick by the end of the 1:20 smoke. I bought this one for $6.00 and that seems to be about the norm (found them online for $6.25). I would be willing to buy this one again and might even grab a few before I head back to Ohio for the fall. The harshness was the only disappointment in this stick, but in reality I should expect that when I'm smoking them down to the nub.


Overall Rating: (22/25)

Overall, I really enjoyed this cigar, I liked the dark maduro look to it and the chocolaty flavor profile. It had a nice thick smoke and I never had to think about touching this one up. I think I will go grab another and see how a little aging affects it. For grabbing this one out of the store and smoking it immediately I am pretty impressed with this badass robusto.


Rating: 89

No comments:

Post a Comment