Friday, September 30, 2011

Oliveros King Havano Maduro Fuerte Monarch

Brand of Cigar: Oliveros
Name of Cigar:
King Havano Maduro Fuerte Monarch
Vitola:
6X54
Wrapper
: Maduro Fuerte
Binder:
Nicaraguan
Filler:
Nicaraguan
Body:
Full
Time of Smoke:
1:25
MSRP Price:
$4.70-5.40
Purchase Price:
$2.00 (20 for $40.00)
Place of Purchase:
Cigarbid.com


Intro:


I looked in my humidor for what I was going to smoke tonight and realized I was down to my last Oliveros King Havano. I figured I'd better do a review on this one before I forgot about it and smoked my last one. About four months ago I bought a box of these maduro sticks and have already gotten to the end of my supply. I decided to bust out my knew scissor cutters and makeshift ashtray and give this one a go on my deck while enjoying the wind and rain from the storm before I got to my much anticipated Fantasy Football Draft.


Appearance/Construction: 21/25

The first thing I noticed about the King Havano is the dark maduro wrapper. I will admit the dark brown wrapper gave me enough reason to take a chance on these. Not only is the wrapper nice and dark like I prefer, but the band looks great as well. The band is a thick one that is mostly gold with some nice artistic elements added to it. I really thought the gold matched up well with the darkness of the stick. The King Havano also has a smaller band at the foot of the cigar which gave it a nice unique look. From a distance these cigars look beautiful, I will say however, that they do drop off in appearance after a closer look. I noticed that this particular stick had quite a few veins running through it. The veins even made the cigar a little bumpy along the wrapper and took away from the elegant look that I saw from afar.


Smoking Experience: 27/30

After poring myself a glass of Glen Ellen Pinot Gritio and taking a seat on my deck, it was time to examine this cigar properly. After all, the looks really don't mean that much as long as the stick smokes like a champ. During the pre-light examination, I noticed that the King was firm but had a nice bounce to it, and gave off some earthy and mocha tones. I got right into this one and it started burning wonderfully just like the previous King Havanos I had smoked. For a two dollar stick, this one really burns well. I was taken over by the thick smoke that rolled of this cigar and knew that it had the chance to be a solid stick. I started taking in some notes of leather and mocha right away, and those were met by the common earthy and peppery flavors. This one was smoking evenly just like the others that I had smoked and it didn't require any touch-ups. I ended up smoking the gray ash to about 1.5 inches before deciding to ash it before I got hit with some cigarbage. I really didn't want to be cleaning it up when I should have been choosing between AP and Chris Johnson. One thing I was really surprised about was the color of the smoke, it had a brown tint to it, which is a little different from the usual white and gray clouds that I associate with cigars. This was different than what I'm used to, but I had no problem with it. The only problems I had with the cigar was the leaf coming undone a little where I had cut the cigar and tasting a bit of harshness once the stick got down to about an inch. But overall, I solid smoking experience.


Value: 18/20

For two dollars a stick, I can't complain about this one. The construction of the cigar could have been a little better, and I would have liked to see a better flavor profile for a full cigar, but I'm nit picking here. For the price, this is a pretty damn good cigar and I would definitely purchase again at a $2.00 price tag. I personally think that this one's worth it even at MSRP.


Overall Rating: 22/25

Overall, this cigar is a pretty solid stick. The only complaint I could have is the construction, but even with the veins and rough surface, the cigar was a very enjoyable smoke. It didn't have the best flavor profile for a full-bodied cigar, but again, at $2.00 or even $5.40 I'm not complaining. I would definitely recommend this dark Oliveros.


Rating: 88

No comments:

Post a Comment