Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: Padilla Achilles Robusto

Brand of Cigar: Padilla
Name of Cigar: Achilles
Vitola: Robusto 5x54
Wrapper: Habano-Seed Corojo
Binder: Unknown
Filler: Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominican Republic
Body: Medium
Time of Smoke: 1.15
MSRP Price: 5 pack at $20-22
Purchase Price: 5 pack at $11
Place of Purchase: Cigarbid.com

Intro:
I’ve had a 5 pack of these once before and remember them being a pretty solid smoke. So naturally I grabbed a second 5er off of cigarbid for 11 bucks. Now after about 3 or 4 weeks of seasoning in my humidor, this stick is going to accompany me out to the breezeway so we can get to know each other a bit more.
Appearance & Construction: 22/25


This cigar was tightly wrapped

This Robusto comes in at 5 x 54, with a medium brown Cuban-seed corojo wrapper. The wrapper itself looked very well aside from a good sized raised spot near the head of the stick. It also had a smaller raised vein towards the foot that I only noticed after I began smoking it. The wrapper itself was very oily, and had no other imperfections. The cigar cut well, which I wasn’t expecting seeing as how large of a ring size it had.




Smoking Experience: 26/30
I lit this puppy up with excitement, as it had been at least a week since I’d had a cigar, so my expectations were high! This cigar started off well, leaving me with a wood flavor, with a peppery after taste in my mouth. After about the half way point I was getting the same woodsy flavor, as well as a nutty note, and the peppery after taste shifted and became a little sweeter. The Achilles burned very evenly throughout the entire cigar, and it’s ash lasted at least an inch both times.

Price: 18/20
I got these beauties in a 5 pack for $11, so at $2.20 I can’t complain. The MSRP is around 20-25 bucks per 5 pack, so I did get a good deal on these at Cigarbid.com

Overall: 23/25

Overall, there is absolutely nothing bad I can say about this stick. The Padilla Achilles offered some very good flavor notes, burned well, and aside from the two raised veins was very well constructed. Unfortunately I only have 1 of these left out of my 5 pack, so once it gets some time in my humidor I will definitely be giving it another go! I recommend this one to any cigarnivore, especially if they enjoy a medium bodied smoke

Rating: 89

No comments:

Post a Comment