Monday, October 24, 2011

Review: Felipe Gregorio Felipe II Salomon

Brand: Felipe Gregorio
Name: Felipe II Salomon
Vitola: 7 x 58 Salomon
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Sumatra
Filler: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Body: Medium
Time of Smoke: 1:45 min
MSRP: 2.50 to $4
Price: Box of 20 for $31
Purchased: http://www.cigarbid.com/

I decided to have a smoke during a game of Bocce Ball with a couple buddies, and this cigar just stuck out to me in my humidor. I bought a box of these, and they'd been sitting in my humidor for at least two weeks now, so i figured i might as well give this stick a try.



Appearance & Construction: 24/25

Right out of the gate, I'll tell you this cigar is huge! By huge, i mean it's the biggest cigar I've ever smoked for sure, and my first Salomon cigar as well. This stick was wrapped in a very sleek looking darker brown Sumatra wrapper, and was very oily to the touch. The cap was well constructed and matched the wrapper, while the foot of the cigar flowed nicely into a small "nipple" for an easy light. It's firm touch only enhanced my belief this cigar was very well put together.

Smoking Experience: 20/25
This cigar lit up with ease, but then gave me problems the rest of the way through. I could not detect any serious notes of flavor expect for an earthiness and some slight cocoa through the entire smoke. The first third burned completely unevenly, and needed touched up severely. After about the midway point, it burned wavy at best, and the draw improved to a small degree. I still didn't get much flavor from it, which was disappointing because from the look and construction i had high hopes. It's ash was a light gray coloration, and although I've heard the ashes on these sticks can get very, very large, this one only managed to go about an inch and a half.






Price: 18/20

At 31 dollars for a box of twenty, that is $1.55 per stick, so not bad at all. I got these on cigarbid, so i paid there shipping prices which in turn increased the per stick price some, but still near 2 dollars per smoke. Your getting your money's worth in terms of tobacco that's for sure.

Overall: 23/25

Overall, i was left disappointed with a great looking and wonderfully constructed Felipe Gregorio cigar. I never really found any dominate notes of flavor, nor did this stick burn well at all. I have nine more of these beasts, so eventually I'll be giving it another try. Hopefully with a little aging, it will improve.

Rating: 85

No comments:

Post a Comment